What is Personal Information?
What information do we collect?
We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an account or a profile, make a donation, make a purchase, send us an email or sign up to receive email or text message updates, fill out a form, connect through a social feed, sign up to be a volunteer or host an event or request information. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection withparticipating in any interactive forums or features on the Sites. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your participation in surveys, contests, games, promotions, and other activities on the Sites.
In addition, the Virginia Department of Elections may require us to collect personal information from donors. For example, the Virginia Department of Elections requires us to collect (and disclose) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals as established under § 24.2-947.1 of Virginia code.
When you use our online platforms, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on our website. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR")
The Sites are hosted in and provided from the United States. While we do not direct our services to residents of the European Union (or European Economic Area; together, "EU"), it is possible that EU residents may access and use the Sites. If you use the Sites and/or reside in the EU, Canada, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you may be transferring your personal data to the United States.
- to withdraw your consent to the processing of Personal Information about you to which you have previously given consent;
- to object to processing of Personal Information about you for the purpose of direct marketing; and
- to have incorrect Personal Information about you corrected.
You also have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Information we have about you.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- with volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us
- to report required information to the Virginia Department of Elections
- to send you confirmations, receipts, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Sites
- to notify you about important changes to the Sites
- to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Sites and our users' experiences on the Sites, such as providing content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase the Sites' functionality and user friendliness
How do we protect your information?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our online platform, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.